Sunday 13 November 2011

Indian Summer - part 1

As well as the very lovely wedding we went to earlier in the summer - where we drove halfway down the country with all of our camping gear and a car full of cupcakes, we were invited to another very exciting wedding.  Wedding number 2 was to be an anglo-indian wedding where the morning part was to be Hindu and in Indian dress (as far as possible) and the afternoon would be a traditional Catholic wedding in the local Catholic church.

I wanted to go glammed up and I wanted to wear a Sari (as both the bride and groom were keen for as many people as possible to wear traditional dress).  Now, Saris are not uncommon in certain parts of the city where we are, but certainly not usual.  However, nothing in life is simple and these would turn out to be the wrong sort of Sari... So a few telephone calls later and a neighbouring Indian arts group had arranged for me to loan a Sari from a lovely Indian lady to wear for the event.  I was in a quandry - what to take as a thank you gift for someone loaning me a beautiful Sari?... after much consideration (taking all sorts of cultural and dietary considerations into account) I decided to take cake!

and so I made Masala Chai cupcakes! I put them in one of those nice cupcake boxes with a cellophane window so that it looked nice, and I topped them with a star anise.

No comments: