Monday 1 March 2010

Manchester tart...

In between Christmas and now there hasn't been much baking in the cupcake-fest household - although I did make some functional goodies including a large tray of caramel shortbread (no picture though), a Madeira cake, and some plain flapjack.  However, I was inspired to make a Manchester tart the other week after seeing one on the Hairy Bikers/Bakers programme - the one on the programme included bananas which I thought was wrong, as the version I remembered from school was a pastry casing with jam on the bottom, then a good slab of custard, topped with coconut.  I made mine based on how I remembered it.  I confess now to *buying* the pastry case (although I think the aluminium tray gives it away) and the custard is made with powder, but there's a part of me that thinks that all of that contributes to what it is!

No comments: